IGA is the world’s largest voluntary supermarket network with aggregate worldwide retail sales of more than $21 billion per year. The Alliance includes nearly 4,000 Hometown Proud Supermarkets worldwide, supported by 36 distribution companies and more than 55 major manufacturers, vendors and suppliers encompassing everything from grocery to equipment items. IGA has operations in 44 of the United States and more than 40 countries, commonwealths and territories on all six inhabited continents.
IGA had several objectives:
- Coordinate the rebranding of the website with the rebranding of the IGA Private Brand label.
- Deploy the Ektron CMS to provide content management capabilities forbasic and advanced functional requirements.
- Integrate an online store locator with a back-end database system to provide dynamic updates as well as additional store information while minimizing IT involvement.
- Provide a consistent yet unique browsing experience for multiple sites.
IGA and WSOL collaborated to deploy this award winning web presence. Site visitors will immediately notice the updated branding, clean layout and improved navigation. Working with the design concept provided by IGA, WSOL deployed our SuperTemplate technology to create a streamlined content management approach.
Ektron’s geo-mapping functionality is the foundation for the new Store Locator and data is dynamically updated using a custom upload process developed by WSOL. When the data import runs, Store information (address, phone, website, etc.) and attributes (ATM, Grocery, Pharmacy, etc.) are dynamically updated/added to provide result filtering capabilities directly on the map.This project was broken into two phases. Phase I adds value for IGA retailers with a section designed exclusively for information of interest to IGA retailers’ customers (B2C – Business to Consumer). Take a tour and you will see a new tab, “Consumer Corner,” where IGA Red Oval Partner companies are able to communicate directly with IGA consumers. Phase II adds value for all IGA members by creating a separate and distinct area to post information of interest to businesses. This section does not require a password and includes information of interest to current or prospective IGA Alliance members and other businesses that want to learn about IGA (B2B – Business to Business).
WSOL utilized theming to control the display of the two sites. This allows both sites to run using a single SuperTemplate and is extremely cost efficient because functionality can be developed once for use on both sites. This allows CMS Users to easily and cost efficiently manage two sites while ensuring that visitors on both enjoy the optimal browsing experience.
IGA has observed the following benefits:
- The “Store Locator” is easier for customers to use and displaysadditional information including the store’s contact information and website.
- Automation of the Store Locator data feed has significantly reduced the staff time required to process and verify updates, freeing up IT staff to handle, well, IT tasks.
- Back issues of Independent View Perspectives and Grocergram Quarterly are archived and searchable.
- The site is easier to navigate using conventions users have come to expect on all leading sites.
- CMS Users have the ability to publish and manage two professional websites using a single Workarea (with more sites to come).